Monday, March 29, 2010

It All Started Last Fall ....

Last fall, while we were working hard to bring the RMH Foundation's $3.0 million capital campaign to a successful conclusion, I was approached on several occasions by different local ladies asking what the next 'project' for the RMH Foundation was going to be. In each instance, the woman suggested that RMH Foundation host a women's triathlon as both a friend-raiser and a fund-raiser, given the women's health awareness activities that could go along with the actual 'race' event itself. About all I know about a triathlon is that three activities are involved - usually swimming of some type, biking of some type and running/jogging of some type. One of the ladies has participated in several triathlons and another who lives on the lake offered her home as staging area for the swim portion.

At the time, I thanked the ladies for their suggestions and then put them on the back burner until after the capital campaign was closed. A couple of weeks ago, I started looking into how other (larger) communities organize these types of events and somehow, still not quite sure, while I wasn't looking, I managed to get enrolled as a participant! Given that I don't actually bike, run, or swim, I'm still not sure how this has transpired!

I also have mystically become enrolled in a 12 week training class to prepare for the big event in midJune in Vincennes, Indiana with 3 other local ladies (and a 4th who goes with us on Saturday) and we've promised to be each others guardian angels for the duration! We'll travel together the 30 miles or so to the YMCA in Vincennes 3 times a week - 90 minute sessions on Mondays and Wednesdays and 2 full hours of fun on Saturday mornings!


TRYathlon is a Sisters in Service event from the Knox County Community Foundation in partnership with Vincennes Parks & Recreation Department and the Vincennes YMCA. For more information, check out their website at www.knoxcountyfoundation.org/TRYathlon.

Helpful hints from folks who know what they are doing are welcome, prayers are welcome, and please do ask me how I'm doing - the more people that ask me about it the better the chances I'll stick with it since I don't want to have to look you all in the eye and tell you I dropped out!

1 comment: