Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Hump Day (for this week!)

Was in my office minding my own business (yes, really) and one of the surgeons popped in - with a TRYathlon registration form in his hand. He wants to sign his wife up for it and one of the nurses told him I knew all about it. I cautioned him - more than once - that she may not appreciate his interest in her overall well being and that in the interest of his overall well being he should reconsider this type of surprise, but he would not be swayed. So, after another caution that my name was not to be divulged as the source of the materials, I provided the swimming only training information, the course route, and some information on the sponsoring organization. Pretty sure this will come back to bite me!

So while waiting for the other angels, I set my mind to conquering the lock for once and for all (it was that or get another lock ...) and in fighting with it discovered the the first digit of the combination was 1 number off - it opens like no one's business with the new numbers! In all the fussing around with it we must have messed it up slightly - at any rate - now we can use it and not have to worry about being stranded at the Y in Vincennes!

Two representatives from Good Samaritan Hospital in Vincennes opened the session with a presentation on nutrition for 'athletes' (guess they were talking to us!) and some helpful hints about how to eat/drink to prepare for workouts, recover from workouts, and how to be best prepared for the actual race day. Once we figured out that the longer we were at the presentation the less time there would be to work out, we had LOTS of questions! The lead instructor was on to us pretty quickly though (we were so busted) and off we went...

Our first activity was biking (again!) - one of the angels had the foresight to bring a gel / padded seat - and perhaps special biking shorts! Really enjoyed the music and got brave enough to take my hands off the grip to get some water. Was not very comfortable with the standing up part - perhaps because I had my toes pointed down, so was off balance.

Second activity was more core training - different instructor but no less attentive to being sure we were doing the 'planks' correctly for maximum benefit. The reminders to not hold our breath during the various lifts are also very much appreciated! One of the members of our group has been named the Queen of Planks by the instructors - quite a compliment! I only aspire to be able to do them from my toes rather than my knees!

On the way home we went over to the park where the event will be held and, just for grins, drove out to the mostly flat bike route - it's about as flat as my tummy - several fairly short and steep stretches - but looks like the park returning to the park ends on a downhill run!

Just one more training day this week - yippee!

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading your blog...can't wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete