Saturday, June 12, 2010

Got the Butterflies - Well, At Least One!

Well, of all the times for the Internet to be broken - could not connect from home last 2 days via laptop but came to the public library Saturday morning and it works like a charm! Go figure - like I need something else to stress over!

Here's what's been happening:

Friday I checked the Knox County Community Foundation website (as I do once a week or so) and found 4 pages of 'rules' for the event - go figure! After consideration, and discussion with some of the ladies who have done this before, we are thinking this document may not strictly apply.
For example, it says swimmers line up in the water in the lane closest to the wall - and that is shown on the site map too. However, later in the 'rules' it says we'll line up in entry number in the paved area and enter the water after crossing the timing pad. That matches what we've been told by event staff.
Elsewhere it says your participant number = your location in line to enter the water for the swim. I'll buy that and am getting psyched to have a 300+ number! However, it also says that our transition space is assigned based on our participant number - that doesn't jive with what we've been told ... I guess we'll find out!

Today (Saturday) is a day of 'rest' and since it was raining (or threatening to rain), humid (or raining), and hot (because of course all the rain would NOT cool things off except perhaps to drop the temperature from 91 to 90!) Thursday and Friday were also days of rest!

Many folks dropped by the office on Friday to wish us luck - some may even be making the trip over to see it with their own eyes! Others want to be sure I'll be at work on Monday so they can hear all about it! We are having the best time getting ready I don't know what I'll do after we're done!

My youngest daughter (the artsy fartsy one - and that's a good thing) has decorated a bucket for me - 5 green glitter shamrocks with the names of each of the granddaughters and the slogan of: Meemaw's Lucky Charms! Too cute! She tried to paint the bucket green but it only 'stuck' around the top (or bottom when I'm sitting on it)! She also has had t-shirts made for the girls and they plan to come over - let's see, get 4 girls ages 7-5-2-4 months up, dressed, fed and on the road by 7 a.m. Illinois time to get to the event (time difference really impacts!) by 9:00 a.m. - I think I'd rather do the TRY than that!

The shamrock helium balloon I had talked about months ago apparently is no where to be found now - so am going with an oversize pink and purple butterfly helium balloon with an 8' string and a weight to help find my place in the transition area instead! I'm not so much worried about drowning in the pool anymore as I am concerned about squandering precious time in the transition area because I can't find my stuff! Minutes matter!

Three of the angels went over to the YMCA in Vincennes this morning for the breakfast for the TRY training group - I stayed here in town to help out at the Hospice 'Memory Miles' and saw a little bit about how a 5 k walk/run can be organized - still in the learning mode to have our own event in September 2011! They said it was really nice and also to disregard the part in the rules about the transition spaces being assigned based on participant number.

This time tomorrow I'll have successfully completed my FIRST triathlon - can't wait!

Good luck to all other TRY ladies - see you tomorrow - look for the butterfly!

3 comments:

  1. Wishing you LUCK with everything--I will be thinking of you early tomorrow morning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anxious to see hear how you did, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lived to tell about it - although I think 1 more nap may be in order!

    ReplyDelete