Saturday, June 5, 2010

Putting It All Together...

All 5 angels today for training session #32 - just 2 more! Today we had the opportunity to do full distance in order for all 3 parts (swim-bike-run) - just as we will be doing in the event.

After an 'easy 100 meters' in the pool for warm up we lined up according to our swim time (fastest first), practiced entering the water (jump out, knees bent, and push off the bottom), and 'snaking' our way up and back across the pool until we finished 8 lengths (400 meters). It is really something to see 50-60 actual swimmers making their way along - of course some were done and out of the pool before my turn came to get in the pool - even though we entered 5 seconds apart. I made it all the way across the length (50 meters) the first time (in the warm up) and one other time during the activity, but didn't stop moving even though part of it was 'walking'. Without the lane ropes being on my back is pretty much a wasted effort - tried it and wandered out to another part of the pool that was no where near where I wanted to be! Was the last one out (no surprise there) but got it done.

Felt pretty good all in all as I got to the bike and did the route in 50 minutes - 3 minutes longer than Friday but I stopped to look for the reflector that jumped off my pedal on Friday. Found it but it was all smashed up so will have to work on finding a new one! No snakes today but dead raccoon, rabbit, and squirrel along the route - hope someone has the task of clearing road kill from the route before we start! The only other bit of excitement was a fierce wind in our faces on the way back, which is supposed to be the 'quick' part of the route! Max speed today of 19.8 (and not downhill!) - although for some of the ladies that is their 'coasting' speed but that's ok!

By the time I got back from the bike part some of the ladies were already getting back from their runs, so I opted out of that part and brought out the 5 bikes, buckets, etc. so that when the rest of the angels got back we could head out as they would have waited a LONG time for me!

We're getting really good at tossing in the bikes and buckets - were loaded up lickety split, especially as we had decided we had earned a McDonald's stop! 2 unsweetened teas, a sweet tea, diet coke and vanilla iced coffee later we were all feeling much better as we headed back across the river!

6 comments:

  1. I'm very curious about this "jumping" into the pool thing. So...you're saying you take a big jump with your knees bent and push off the bottom not the side of the pool? Correct? Does this make your time faster or smoother? I haven't tried that I always just ease my way in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should push off the side.

    We would have gladly waited on you to finish the walk/run.

    I always enjoy the ride there and home...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica - 'jmadams' (Angel Rita) is doing her 4th (or 5th?) TRYathlon - so knows much more about this than I do! She is a real swimmer whereas I do a lot of flailing around, sputtering, etc., etc.

    Since I was way at the back of the line, I got to watch a lot of folks get in! The first (read that fast) swimmers tended to jump out with bent knees and push off the bottom - I asked Sandy (one of the swim instructors) and her view was why wouldn't you get as far out into the lane as your could, and that the 'power' from pushing off the bottom - plus starting further out was the way to go.

    Many ladies towards the middle were 'walking' across our imaginary timing mat and 'stepping off' or 'dropping' into the pool, knees bent, in one smooth / uninterrupted motion and pushing off the side. Not drop, stand up, adjust your goggles, take a few calming breaths, then push off the side.

    The ladies at the end of the line (lets just call us the nonswimmers) had a variety of ways to get in the pool, sitting on the edge and lowering over, kind of a two-step process, sputtering and coughing, and eventually pushing off the wall. Sometimes holding noses was also involved.

    Even for the slower entry folks, however, the 5 seconds between a person entering practice seemed to be in place ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh, thanks for the info. I will try the new idea in my gym pool this week. 5 seconds seems like a small time between. Will there be lap lanes in the day of the race to have to go under. I am a strong swimmer and will peobably start within the first 20 I was told. So I guess I need to really JUMP!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been all too helpful as well! Thanks for always getting back to me about my questions! It's hard to train alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We were told the lane ropes / lap lanes will be in place for the event.

    We were also told, and I don't know if I remembered to add it to the blog, that we would have the ability to get into the water and do warm-up swimming on Sunday morning. I would 'assume' that would mean you can also practice your entry mode!

    I am quite certain that whatever you are comfortable with will be just fine - and that's probably the most important part!

    ReplyDelete