Tuesday, June 8, 2010

"Ladder" Day - NOT!











The original plan for Monday's next-to-last TRY training was to again do all 3 components (swim-bike-run) but in shorter distances so that we would be completed within our usual 90 minute period. However, this changed DRASTICALLY when it was learned that there is a pool party on Wednesday and we won't be able to swim that night. We won't even be able to converge on Gregg Park because the pool party attendees will be taking up all the spaces.



So, to compensate for not swimming on Wednesday, we did a 'ladder' - after our 'easy' 100 meter warm up we were supposed to do 200 meters, then do 300 meters, then do 400 meters - representing going 'up' the ladder. Then go back down the ladder with a 300 meter swim, followed by a 200 meter swim, and, finally, a 100 meter cool down swim. There were several murmurs (mostly from my end of the pool - where we nonswimmers congregate since we know we won't be slowing anyone down) about wanting some of whatever the instructors had been smoking to dream up a 1600 meter outing!

By the time we were released from the pool I had somehow managed 600 meters total and did the full 50 meters across without stopping on 3 separate occasions! Still no lane ropes, so no 'swimming' on my back - but have developed something of a modified side stroke and yes, resorted to walking on occasion. Only stopped at the ends of the lane (others were stopping in the middle of the lanes - but hey, gotta do what you've gotta do!) to rest. Did manage to pass other swimmers on 2 separate occasions (they may have been stopped or walking slowly) but am learning this is really doable. Tiffany shot down a request to use snorkels so I didn't even bother to ask for the paddles!

Practiced my 'transition' from pool to run - took my cap and goggles off while walking away from the pool, pulled my swimsuit down to my hips while walking, so just had to step out of the suit, pull on my dry shirt, sit down and dry off my feet, put on socks, shoes, bandana to keep sweat out of my eyes, ball cap, sunglasses, pedometer, MP3 player, and water bottle and was ready to go! I knew I would be the last one back to made sure all my treasures were packed up and ready to go so that I just had to pick up bucket and bike and get out to the truck. Will need to check my pedometer as it said I only went 2.7 miles and I did the full distance - perhaps my 'stride' setting is off. By some wonder of wonders I wasn't the last one back and the lovely angels had loaded up my bike and bucket for me.

Got the times today from the 2009 event - very interesting (and encouraging!) reading! Apparently all 3 parts can be done in under an hour (!) but the longest time from last year was just a smidge over 2 hours. 213 individual athletes and 31 teams of 2 or 3 ladies.

Can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. So you still used the MP3 Player during your practice transition? I think the run is shorter than 3 miles right? I ran it pretty fast for it being a whole 3 miles. What was the fastest time last year? Just under an hour...or way under.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fastest time for a person doing all 3 parts was 1 hour 44 seconds. 50 ladies came in during the first 15 minutes of the second hour.

    My pedometer told me the run was about 2.7 miles - and I had thought the distance was 3.1 miles (5k) - so was questioning whether I had my stride set correctly or not - can't answer that definitely - ladies?

    We have the time breakdowns that can be forwarded by e-mail - but you may be able to locate them on the web site for Mattoon MultiSport (timers) at www.mattoonmultisport.com

    See you Sunday!

    ReplyDelete