Sunday, June 13, 2010

WOW!

Have successfully completed my FIRST triathlon! What a hoot!

After loading up 2 of everything I could possibly need for the event (no spare bike, however) and wandering through the house numerous times trying to remember what I forgot, we were about 20 miles from home on Saturday night when I realized I did not have the butterfly balloon! I had picked it up and it was in the basement, but not part of my usual routine and totally missed it. Bless his heart, we just turned around and came home for it, making us arrive a little later to Gregg Park than anticipated.

I already had 2 American Cancer Society tattoos on my shoulders and 2 Celtic themed tattoos on my ankles - and remembered not to use any body oil so that the Sharpie would write well. I was participant #294 (numbering started at 100 or 101 so that all 3 digit numbers were used). Most of the angels were there - one had already arrived and left - so after we were marked and picked up our goody bags we decided to head out to carb up! Montana Mike's was the destination and my salad, sweet potato, and salmon were simply scrumptious!

We opted to stay the night at Kimmel Park and other than the thunder and lightening as we were settling in for sleep nothing unusual there. Up at 5:30 Vincennes time (4:30 Olney time) and hot foot it over to Gregg Park to snag 'good' transition spots. The rest of the angels arrived in bits and pieces and we eventually got our treasures just the way we wanted them and headed out for our timing chips. While we were there we had our photos taken with Tiffany and gave our thanks, again, for all the work she and the YMCA staff put into attempting to get us ready for the day!

After more aimless milling about, all participants were lined up for a photo on the pool deck. No one wanted to be in the front row and hold the sign but I jumped at the chance - let's see - sit down - sign in front of me so only my flip flops are poking out the bottom and my face poking out the top - I'll be easy to find in the photo!

All the 'high number' ladies were at the pool edge to cheer on the first swimmers, and we got more chatty as our turn got closer. For me, a nonswimmer, the pool was going to be the hardest part. I did actually swim the first 50 meters, then followed my 'plan' to be on my back the second 50 - I didn't run into any other swimmers, but probably swam 100 meters to get to the other end as I was apparently zig-zagging my way from one lane rope to the other. For lane 3 and most of the rest of the way alternated some front crawl with side stroke and the occasional stretch on my back when no one else was around. Still - got out in a little more than 17 minutes and wasn't too wobbly.

Our 'sham-wow-aqua-towel' worked great and I had my cap, goggles, and top of swim suit peeled down and pretty much dried off by the time I got to my bike. Didn't take too long once I got to the bucket and off on the ride we went. Of course, the good swimmers had been long gone and they were headed out on their runs as I was headed out on my ride, but you'll have that.

Ride uneventful other than the big wind in our faces on the way back - many law enforcement and volunteers along the way to keep us safe and cheer us on. Dropped the bike and kept on moving for the run (read that walk) - folks at every intersection, miles marked, water in two places - and 3 of the grandchildren at the finish line along with quite a crowd from our little town!

Full results are on line at the Knox County Community Foundation website (www.knoxcountyfoundation.org) - click on the TRYathlon button on the left to get to that section. All our ladies from across the river finished safely and 3 were in the top 3 finishers in their age groups!

For myself - just finishing was a tremendous cap to this wonderful journey - believe I came in 201st with a 17 minute swim, 47 minute bike and 51 minute 'run' - total time of 2 hours and a few seconds! Can't wait to do it again and can't wait to have our own White Squirrel Mini Triathlon in Olney in September 2011!

2 comments: