Friday, June 4, 2010

Took 4 Minutes Off My Bike Time!

Took the day off today and went with 4 of the local ladies who are TRY training on their own over to Vincennes to see the swim, bike, and run routes. We drove the bike route, then biked it - it was my 3rd time on the route and it was first thing in the morning and I dropped 4 whole minutes off my bike time! Amazing what being fresh and knowing the route a little bit will do! Saw several other ladies out doing the same thing BUT also saw several snakes slithering out of the tall grass by the railroad out onto the road (to warm up perhaps?)! The first one was on the other side of the road and I'm not terrified of snakes so that was ok. The second one, though, was on my side of the road, in the road. At first I thought it was a stick, so was going around it anyway, but then it raised it's little head and flicked it's tongue at me - the nerve! Kept me moving though - hmmm, maybe that's why my time improved!

Rainbow Beach was open for lap swim by the time we all got back in - 1 lady ran while the other 4 of us 'swam'. I only did 100 meters as I will have opportunity to swim tomorrow at training. 2 of the ladies did 400 meters and 1 swims more like I do - it isn't pretty but we'll eventually get it done! We all practiced dropping into the pool with knees bent so that we can take right off (lest the next person land on us!). Water was glorious and there were just a few other lap swimmers, so no fuss, no muss! As we were wrapping up Tiffany and Sandy (our swim instructors)came to swim - good thing I don't disillusion easily - they can really go!

I did ask the instructors where they recommended parking on event day - Washington Elementary School (on Washington Street) backs up to Gregg Park, the factory on the other side of the park also has a large lot and is empty on the weekends, she mentioned some people will park on the side streets as well. In answer to my question about MP3 player/iPod during the 'run' activity - the official position is that these types of devices are not allowed during any portion of the event - so there you have it!


A quick drive over the run route (very straightforward) and a stop at Bicycle Outfitters (not only an event sponsor but also put up a great sign in support of the 'athletes'!) where our group purchases included Jelly Beans (energy food), bottle holders, and a new helmet! A healthy lunch at Pea-fection followed before we went our separate ways back to Olney.

No comments:

Post a Comment