Thursday, May 27, 2010

All I Can Say Is - OYYY!


4 angels loaded up and ready to go for bike/run day - photo taken courtesy of one of the Mr. Angels who toodled up on his motorcycle to see us off!

Hot, humid, hot, humid and hot outdoor weather greeted us upon our arrival in Vincennes. Of course since we were biking and it was miserable out (hot and humid) there was no wind except what we could create by our own movement! 22 little chicks headed out to go to Main and back - about a 10 mile loop. Since we had such a large group there was a staff person front and back, so I had company for a change!

I'd taken the advice of my partner and two staff members to raise my seat to get more power from pedaling and this was the first real outing with the new height. Death hill did seem a little bit easier even though I hadn't really ridden in a week... and I even got to the 3rd set of gears on the way back! We were parked at the far end of the parking lot at the Y and the lot is uphill and bumpy, so I stayed on the smooth road and entered the parking lot from the far end. I don't know who put the speed bump across the entrance or when, but that was quite a surprise! The bright side to it was the ability to determine without a doubt that the 'shock absorbers' on the front wheel and seat post actually do work!

However, this morning a whole new set of muscles is announcing their unhappiness - I'm guessing these are the ones I should have been using all along! Still don't have full leg extension on the downward stroke, so perhaps raising the seat just a bit more would be the key! 17 days out to the event, so better get this figured out pdq!

One angel was so hot she was cold at the end of the ride - never a good sign - so we cooled her off, loaded up all 4 bikes, and by the time we finished all that the main 'run' group was long gone. We opted to 'walk' and not very far at that - and it seemed a large percentage of the group may have done the same. At the end of the loop I don't think we could have been any wetter than if we had been swimming.

It was a sweaty, smelly bunch of angels who loaded up for a pretty quiet ride home - and if we are too tired to cut up, we're pretty tired! Two of us were batchlorettes for the night and one arrived back too late to catch children's ball games - one luckly lady, however, was destined to anouther couple of hours of being out in the sun as her day was ending at the ball park!

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog about your adventures training for the TRY. I am from Vincennes but now live in Columbus, OH with my husband. I am training on my own for the TRY there. Training alone is hard so i'm jealous of all the workouts you ladies have been receiving! Is it true we can not have an i-pod? Good luck to you in the rest of your training! See you on the 13th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica -

    My understanding is we can have iPod, MP3, etc. on the 'run' portion - as it is on residential streets that will essentially be closed off except for participants; however, no ear buds while on bike for safety reasons. I will double-check on that!

    I can not begin to fathom trying to train on my own - and several times would have given up without the ability to be part of our group - stick with it and see you on the 13th! I'll be the one with a shamrock (helium) balloon!

    TWINKS

    ReplyDelete