Thursday, May 6, 2010

What A Workout!

I knew I would miss TRY-training on Monday due to a Walk and Roll meeting so made extra sure to get some good bike riding in over the weekend. Tuesday night was the last in the season's community concerts (Daniel Rodriquez - fantastic) so didn't get anything in then either.

So, it was with great trepidation that I loaded up bike, water, helmet, water, snacks, water, etc., etc.

Another unseasonably warm day (80+ at 3:30 p.m. when we headed out) and much to our dismay very windy once we got to Vincennes. We've got the loading and unloading of the bikes from the truck down to an art form so got ourselves assembled (bike-check, helmet-check, sunscreen-check, neon shirt-check, water-check-check-check, sunglasses-check) and away we went. I don't see how we could have had strong wind in our faces regardless of what direction we were headed in!

Most of the group went up death hill, on the overpass across the highway, turn right at the orchard for more hills (it's the slightly inclined never ending ones that getcha!), then past Kohl's to Main Street - about 9 miles - I knew that wasn't going to happen so had alerted the instructor not to panic if I fell off the radar - plus with that shirt they can see me from a long ways away! Our instructor rode to the front of the pack and then rode to the back several times - rode to the top of the hill so she could count her chicks, then rode to the top of the next hill to count us all again! Got a great pointer on riding with my feet flat on the pedals rather than with my toes pointed down (who knew - guess I never looked at my feet!). I had 6.22 miles in 44 minutes - I think we should get a time/mileage allowance for the wind!

After we all got back to the YMCA, added water in and onto ourselves and the bikes loaded up it was in for another stimulating session of core training! I was a smidge late getting into the room (those biking knickers don't really roll up or down too easily once I've been sweating in them for 45 minutes!) but that instructor must have been alerted that we had worked hard - we worked hard there too but had a truly wonderful stretching out session at the end - soft music, lights out, soothing voice quietly working us through the stretches - I could have gone to sleep right there!

On the way home we briefly recognized that it was Cinco de Mayo but even more quickly recognized none of us had the energy for any type of celebration activity!

No comments:

Post a Comment