Thursday, May 13, 2010

Who’s Doing the TRY and Why? Millissa Duffey

Posted with permission of Vincennes Sun Commercial
Published: VINCENNES SUN COMMERCIAL
Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:59 PM EDT

Millissa Duffey is looking forward to completing her first SIS Women’s TRYathlon thanks to the encouragement of her sorority sister, Laura Mikiska. Duffey and Mikiska had a “photo finish” at the Miles for McKenna race where they finished hand-in-hand and were awarded blankets, very fitting after a cold, rainy 5K run.

Just like braving the elements of that race, Duffey seems to meet each challenge head on. Duffey began training at the YMCA in September and is now active in the 12-week TRY training course. Last February, she successfully completed the indoor triathlon at the Y. Duffey states,

“I’ve found that there are many ladies my age or older who are preparing for and have completed the TRY. Those women inspired me to participate,” Duffey said.

What’s Duffey’s favorite part of TRY training? She likes knowing that she is becoming a much healthier person. Diagnosed with diabetes 37 years ago, she is most motivated by the results she is seeing and commented, “Overall I am feeling much better, and even though I find the training is a bit difficult, I am learning and improving. I decided to do the TRY because I wanted to do something good for myself. It keeps me exercising, and I am having a lot of fun with the friends I’ve met.”
Committing to the time required to train is Duffey’s greatest challenge. In addition to working at Clark Middle School, she tries to do some form of exercise six days per week. Through the support of her husband, Charlie Duffey; son, Chas Duffey; daughter, Millissa Kurcinka; son-in-law, Carl Kurcinka; and granddaughter, Reagan Kurcinka, Duffey is determined to attain her goals.

Duffey hopes to influence others to participate in the TRY next year. She expressed, “Thanks to everyone who has given me a pat on the back and encouraged me to keep doing my best. I look forward to seeing everyone when I cross the finish line for the first time!”

The TRY is for women 16-years-old and up and will consist of a 1⁄4-mile swim in the Rainbow Beach pool, a 9-mile bike ride and a 3-mile run. Women may register to do the entire TRY or as part of a team. Registration forms can be printed from www.knoxcountyfoundation.org at the TRYathlon sidebar or can be picked up at the Knox County Public Library, the Vincennes YMCA or the Knox County Community Foundation office on the third floor of Old National Bank at Third and Busseron Streets. For additional information, contact Kathy Rinsch at 886-0093 or kathy@knoxcountyfoundation.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment