Friday, April 30, 2010

The Bucket List

... no not THAT 'bucket list' - things to do before I die - although organizing this transition bucket may well be the death of me!

Started with a beach towel - picked the brightest one in the house in the hopes that everyone else will have a different color or pattern! Thought about it some and added a 13 gallon garbage bag to put on the ground under the towel in case it is wet...






bottom layer - I've 'swum' with the biking knickers on and am trying to convince myself that they help me float!

The more experienced angels have cautioned that it is virtually impossible to wriggle into the bike shorts/knickers after swimming as the spandex doesn't slide well over wet skin. Although we've heard liberal application of PAM cooking spray will help!



add the swim suit, flip flops, swim cap and goggles -it's been suggested that we put on our goggles then our swim caps - this will in theory help keep our googles from being knocked off - sounds like it would work... I'm still grossed out by having to spit in the goggles and smear it around to avoid them fogging up - we can put a man on the moon but can't make swimming goggles that don't fog up? I don't remember seeing Michael Phelps doing this!



after the swim, find the flip flops and land legs then hustle back to the towel, shed the swim suit, sit on the bucket to put on socks and shoes, add the bright biking shirt (drivers do seem to give me a wide berth!), biking gloves and helmet. A helpful hint we got on this is not to hang the helmet from the handlebars with the straps clipped shut because your fingers will be all pruney from swimming and it would be difficult to unclip the straps... I will also have to make sure I have my sunscreen and sunglasses ...


return to the transition area after the bike ride and take off helmet (don't want to walk in that!) and gloves, get my land legs under me (again), add sweat towel and hat, reapply sunscreen, and strap on waist belt with water and MP3 player - transferring cell phone, ID, and health insurance cards from bike bag to waist bag. [bike bag will be loaded before leaving home to be sure - I already do this each time I ride!]



so this is what everything looks like - adding a long sleeve shirt and jersey for different weather conditions - oops - forgot a towel to do a quick dry-off with after exiting pool and probably need another trash bag to put all the wet stuff in after the end of the event ... would start a list of all these extra things but then I'd have to keep track of the list...




Plus another bag with a change of clothes for after the event (if necessary) including dry shoes - and I'm sure we'll learn about many more things that would be helpful! Plus a 'colorful item' to tie to my transition area (I'm thinking oversize shamrock helium balloon since I'm going with the Celtic theme!).

After all this prep work the weather is again conspiring against us - looks like heavy rain and lightening through the night and early morning - I guess we'll just call the Y before we head out to be sure the mini TRY is still a go!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you have it all figured out...energy bars? do you have enough water?

    ReplyDelete
  2. banana and 3 granola bars with 3 waters or whatever I decide to drink - do you think that's that enough?

    ReplyDelete