Friday, April 30, 2010

Here's what you missed ...

Have all my TRY treasures spread out over the bed trying to determine the most efficient way to pack my 'bucket' so that setting up and using the transition area when going from swim to bike and then bike to run will not be slowed down by having to dig around for stuff. Good thing I'm not planning to go to bed any time soon!

Also hoping to hear from the Y folks tonight as to back up plan for our mini-TRY scheduled for tomorrow. Weather forecast calls for heavy rain and lighting - if it is raining the swim and bike are out for sure. Can't imagine we'll be granted and 'off' day but don't envy the person(s) who has to decide how to occupy 90+ triathletes who have been gearing up for a run through!

Woolgathering over the activities of the week -

  • The angels that were debating the fashion faux pas or evil eye from the Pastor potential for going to a School program at Church (hat hair or not) ultimately addressed the issue by meeting in the Church bathroom, wetting their hair (both have short dos), finger styled it and marched proudly into the assembly - apparently an air of confidence trumps spandex and sweat!
  • Wore my bike 'knickers' with my swim ensemble Monday as a trial run and then rinsed them out when we got home. Let them drip the heavy water out overnight but they were still pretty damp in the morning and we had planned to bike in the evening. Clothes dryer not an option, don't have a blow dryer, and it was starting out fairly overcast that day. I had what I felt was a brilliant idea - clip the knickers by the waistband to a skirt hanger, 'hang' it from the front burner of the stove with the oven door open - my theory being the slight but steady heat from the pilot light would dry them out over the course of the day. This plan got nixed by the other half - being taller he was able to hang them in a window with the blinds up and the meager sunbeams from the day had pretty well done the deed by the time we got home. Fortunately we have very understanding neighbors!
  • Have figured out the bike computer so my maximum speed doesn't remain at 22 (although that was pretty cool!) and the mileage will accrue each trip (well, as long as I remember to reset it!).
  • Had an inaugural ride with 'baskets' on my pedals and didn't fall over (knock on wood!) - and yes, felt the burn of getting power from both pushing down and pulling up with each stroke. As long as I don't have to stop quickly I'll be ok!
  • Had my first encounter with a dog while riding - a rather large (probably taller than me) boxer looking creature that bounded out of a side yard and into the street towards me and trailing 2 puppies - her ears weren't back, I think she was trying to 'shep' me back into the yard (possibly for dinner for the kids).
  • Got the May workout schedule - Saturdays so far we've had 4 30 minute sessions of various activities. They're switching us over to 3 40 minute sessions - best guess is that since we have more 'stamina' we can do more! OY!
  • Have requested permission to put a link to the newspaper on the blog so we can all follow the series of stories being published based on information provided by other ladies in TRY training - really interested to see all the reasons we do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment