Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Weather is NOT cooperating!

Sunday was cold, windy and rainy off and on - absolutely foiling my plan to take a long(er) bike ride and try out the nifty 'cyclometer' - the idea is that it will let me know how far I've gone (miles), how quickly I got there (miles per hour), and how long it's taken me to do it! If I can do at least an average 8.6 mph pace during the event (you'll note we don't refer to it as a race), I'll be an hour in the saddle as they say! However, I had to make do with a quick walk instead as it apparently isn't a great idea to ride in rain / wet streets if it can be avoided!

Monday we did swim, swim, swim, and more swim and then we 'ran' (yes, I do use that term loosely!). We practiced more group swimming - not to be confused with synchronized swimming - by lining up in time order again (still near the back, and that's ok) and taking off at 5 second intervals. This time we swam (yes, I use that term loosely too!) up and back in a lane (with someone in front of and/or behind us and also beside us going the other way, plus traffic in the other lanes), ducked under the lane line to the next lane, and repeated the process until we had done 4 lanes / 200 yards. This is the distance for the fabled Mini TRY this Saturday.

Of course since I had done a 100 yard warm up I was pretty much toast by the time I finished my 200. We had to exit the pool and walk over to the (re)entry point to do a second 200 yard swim but since it looked to me like the more accomplished swimmers were finishing their second round and leaving the pool to change for next session, I just trailed behind and went to change. Lo and behold this wasn't the case - they were just pottying or whatever before coming back for some more activity. I didn't mean to skip out early - I thought everyone else was leaving - really - and yes, I am really going with that story!

We had brought hats, windbreakers and warmer walking clothes (I even had gloves) because it had been really cool in the morning - and overcast when we arrived. However, when we assembled outside for our 'run' the sun was out ever so briefly and we automatically felt warmer! Our group of angels had to leave early as 2 had a Church/School commitment - so we just did the loop around the YMCA (not quite a mile the way I walked it!) and departed about 10 minutes early.

Had just a wee bit of drama in the car on way home over what is or isn't appropriate or acceptable to wear to that night's School program being held at the Church. Is wearing a casual hat to Church better than showing up sans hat but with swimming pool hair that has been mashed under said hat during the 'run'? For the sake of discussion let's say it may have been a bright blue Cubs ballcap with a large bright red 'C' - perhaps with rhinestones in the 'C'.

I thought the real question was if one is showing up to said event in sweaty spandex, will anyone really be looking at the hair? However, I thought better of injecting that observation as it may not have been received in the helpful spirit it was intended (!). When we piled out of the car back in town the question was still under spirited discussion, so it will be something to talk about Wednesday night while we're on the road! Never, ever a dull moment!

I do remain ever so grateful that I'm not TRYing while also keeping up with young children's school, social, and sports activities at the same time - these other ladies have A LOT going on and handle it so well. It's all I can do to keep up with the various tote bags holding my gear!

No comments:

Post a Comment